What to do when elderly parents run out of money?

When older people run out of money, they often qualify for government assistance, which adult children can help them apply for. The exact assistance available depends on the older person's state of residence. All states have Medicaid programs, which often include exemptions that include long-term care assistance, nursing home placement, and in-home care. Most states don't offer assistance to cover room and board in assisted living communities, but they may cover the costs of medical care and assistance beyond the base price.

Try to start a conversation, both with your parents and with other family members. Combining resources and sharing the burden of helping to provide care can be essential for these types of situations to work in the long term. In many states, if parents are eligible for Medicaid coverage for long-term care, adult children have nothing to worry about. You can also find a large number of state and county programs specifically aimed at helping older people, including everything from housing assistance to supplementary income.

Twenty-six states have child support laws that can be used to force adult children to pay for parental care, and how those laws are enforced depends on the state where the parents and children reside. If an elderly person has no money or family to help them, and they face a health emergency that prevents them from living alone, they can be placed under the guardianship of the state. Financial difficulties can be especially difficult for older people, when they can't work and are prone to health problems. That said, there are many ways to help an elderly family member or parent who is facing financial difficulties.

And it can be stressful to figure out how to handle these types of situations, especially if you have to determine what to do when an aging parent runs out of money. Because, in most cases, the best way to treat elderly parents without money is also the most common: direct family assistance. You can also decide to take in your older parent and sell his house, if he has one, to cover his care expenses. But if you spend time and organization looking for resources and getting in touch with them, then you'll find the financial help your parents need.

If your elderly parent has significant vision or hearing loss, you may be eligible for help from ICANconnect, which is officially known as the National Equipment Distribution Program for the Deafblind (NDBEDP). Child support laws state that adult children of impoverished parents are legally required to pay for their parents' care if they can't meet their own needs. The USDA also has a program called the Commodity Complementary Food Program, which delivers healthy food in packages to older people every month. Start talking to your parents about selling the house and moving to a smaller place, or maybe even renovating and renting a part of the house.

Some states have filial liability laws that can make you financially responsible for your parents when they run out of money.

Steve Leinen
Steve Leinen

Typical bacon evangelist. Evil web advocate. Hipster-friendly thinker. Wannabe pop culture buff. Typical travel guru. Proud food specialist.

Leave Reply

Required fields are marked *